Monday, November 23, 2009

Reader Submission

An email we've received (from Chuck, who currently sits in 2nd):

I just caught up on the last couple EBONY posts and I take particular issue with a comment you made about me:

"A couple of us in the crowd had a Bud Light Golden Wheat as a taste test. If I had to guess who, my money would be on Chuck and Sefly, the lovers of the nastiest beer on earth – Coors Light."

I take issue not because you claim I love the nastiest beer on earth, because your opinions on Coors Light have every right to be voiced in a forum such as the EBONY blog (and they are just that - opinions). I would note that my preference for Coors Light is simply over Miller Lite (slightly), and a landslide over Bud Light. It is simply my choice of beers when quantities will be high and it makes the most sense for the evening to stick to light beers. That said, Coors, while being my beverage of choice when light cheap beer is the theme of the night, it would likely not break my top 200 beers if I were to sit down and rank them. Again, I do not take issue in the Coors comment. My beef is assuming that I would go for a Bud Light Golden Wheat because of that. I never, by my own motivation, drink Bud product. It just tastes much worse than most other cheap light beers. It sits in the horrible category with Busch Light, Old Milwaukee, and Heinekin. There are occassions, of course, where I will drink it such as the Beer Mile (mandated brand, also possibly why I suck at it), or if at a keg party, the keg is Bud Light - I will be drinking it but you can count on a few under-my-breath comments lamenting it's inferior taste. Of course, I am not a huge beer snob (occassional to part-time snob, maybe) so I will willingly (if eagerly) take a Bud from a bud(dy) who bought a round of Buds for the group, but when my turn to buy comes around - I'm not getting Bud.

As I've gotten further into my objection, I realized that I am taking subject with your opinion based primarly on my opinion about Bud. It feels much more that an opinion in my head and in my heart, but truly, that is all that it is. Given that I now accept your opinion on Coors Light as only yours, but that you also use it to bury Bud even further than Coors, I take less issue.

Hell, forget it all - no hard feelings. Next time we're out I'll buy you a delicious Eleanor Roosevelt*, or even a Bud.



*Eleanor Roosevelt, aka Edmund Fitzgerald, aka Illinois ~~something~~ (i don't quite recall what Broseph misheard it as)

No comments: